Sunday, April 22, 2007

Various Quick Reviews

As I've stated a couple of times, I'm a rather slow reader. Or maybe I should say I like to take my time while reading comics. I like to look at the art and get fully immersed in the story I have before me. One way or the other, it takes me a while to read a comic. That's not a problem per se, but it makes it hard for me to post reviews regularly. Add to that the fact that I'm simultaneously reading five phonebook-thick books, and you find yourselves with very few reviews to sink your teeth into. To try and resolve this situation, I thought it'd be nice to keep you updated on the books I'm currently tackling. That way, I'll feel less guilty about not posting reviews and you'll still have something to help you decide which books are worth getting.

Showcase Presents House of Mystery Vol.1: I'm about halfway through this one and I still haven't made my mind as to whether or not I'm going to buy the second volume of the series. I love the anthology format and the fact that most of the stories are rather short at about 12 pages each. It makes for quick reads that are perfect for bedtime. My only gripe with the book lies in the execution of some of the stories. Most of the time, the concept will be interesting, but the ending will be very predictable. Otherwise, House of Mystery is well worth its cover price and offers a pretty entertaining, if not really scary read. Recommended.


Showcase Presents Superman Vol.1: I love every single panel of this book. The art is amazing and the writing doesn't take itself too seriously, which makes up for some of he funniest stories I've ever read. In fact, I love these tales so much I've already bought the second volume even if I'm not finished with the first one. Between this book and another one further down the list, it would be very hard to choose which one I consider the single best Showcase Presents available right now. Highly recommended.


Showcase Presents Haunted Tank Vol.1 : I've already given my opinion on this book here and it hasn't changed that much since then. I still like the stories, I still like the artwork, but the plots are a bit too repetitive for my taste. Strangely, I have a feeling that this will change before the end of the book and that the stories will rely less and less on the same formula. I don't know why I've got this feeling and in all honesty I could be dead wrong, but I still think this will get better and better. As for now, I'd say the Haunted Tank is best when taken in small doses. Recommended


Essential X-Men Vol.2 : Chris Claremont and John Byrne at the height of their collective prime. Dark Phoenix Saga, Days of the Future Past, Proteus and Canada's own, Alpha Flight. The plots are captivating, the writing is great and the artwork is... well it's Byrne at the top of his game. Seriously, how could it be any better than that? Highly recommended.


Showcase Presents Jonah Hex Vol.1: As many have stated before, Jonah Hex is one of the best Showcase Presents ever published. The stories are good, the art is simply amazing and the production is top-notch. The paper seems thicker and whiter than the most recent Showcase Presents and the art reproduction is crystal clear. Without a doubt, Showcase Presents Jonah Hex is a must-have for any fan of western comics, any fan of DC comics, or any fan of good comics. Believe me, this is a blast to read and that why it is highly recommended.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home